An interesting movie; to say the least.
Kong was very diligent in keeping close to the original’s theme and some of the scenes were almost identical; albeit with modern special effects to enhance them.
Here is my take on the 3 hour and 7 minute spectacle:
1. Excellent casting all around; while surprised by the choice of Jack Black as moviemaker Carl Denham, his over-the-top performance added just the right touch. His insane zeal to get the movie made at all costs (even the deaths of 17 crewmembers of the ill-fated ship the S.S. Venture) pushed him to the very edge. While this casting ploy might have backfired tremendously, it was a nice touch.
2. Running time was not overly long; the first hour or so it took to get up to speed (pardon the pun) gave time for good character flow and a background into each, while building tension for the ride to Skull Island and the terrible aftermath for Kong in the third act of the movie.
3. Special effects. Wow. That’s all I can say.
4. Direction. Another masterful effort from Peter Jackson. Even though it’s a remake, the man KNOWS how to make movies.
5. Overall. My opinion? One of the best films of 2005. It won’t win many Oscars outside of the effects department, makeup, cinematography and wardrobe, but it deserves to be nominated as Best Picture.
Sad to say that a movie about a homosexual relationship between cowboys will get nominated and possibly win Best Picture at the Academy Awards. That should tell us all what this world is coming too. Nothing but self-gratification and turning totally away from God.
And for those of you who think otherwise, please take the time to read this:
1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NIV): “Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters, nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.”
Leviticus 18:22 (KJV): “Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind it is abomination.”
Leviticus 20:13: “If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.”
24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet.
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
Think what you like about me, but I am not judging anyone; I am merely telling God’s Truth as stated in His Word. God does not lie. His Word is Truth and Light to a crooked and perverse world, and that Word hurts and cuts all of us deeply when it bears our sins for us to see. Yet, through all that is happening in the world today, there IS hope.
That hope is this: when we can start living our lives as God commmands us to do, then immorality and injustice will slowly cease to dominate this planet; it is not too late to turn back. But it is up to us to obey God and do what He says.
Plain and simple.
Just some food for thought on this Saturday. 🙂